Miscellaneous Projects (2008 - Present)
This is just a brief gallery of other projects, whether it's a 30 minute piece that came out well, done many years ago, or I have very few photos.
3D Modelling and Rendering
Left/below: I started out 3D modelling using Blender, whilst most of projects I've worked on have been lost, I have a couple of photorealistic renders saved on the cloud. I started using Blender in 2008 and use it occasionally for renders or modelling.
Hexagonal Bluetooth Speaker
Bluetooth wireless speaker that was modelled in Solidworks and SLS 3D printed, included battery management circuitry and lithium-ion batteries that lasted about 6 hours.
3D Printer Experiences
Left/below: In 2009 the Makerbot Cupcake came out as the first consumer rapid prototyping machine. After recieving a printer from the 4th batch (serial numbers 67 to 92 of the 2,625 total Cupcakes made), many hours were spent assembling the kit, including my first introduction to SMD soldering. Bottom middle is the makerbot printing, which as the years went by it became clear this was a rare occurance.
Bottom right: In 2012, I assembled the Reprap Emaker Huxley , a crowdsourced printer design that built off of the Reprap development. Whilst the Makerbot had lasercut parts to ensure assembly accuracy, the Reprap has threaded bars and a lot of time was spent with calipers to ensure squareness and parallelity. Many upgrades were made to the hotend, x-carriage, control electronics, bowden extruder, etc.
The original concept for this project was the existing Drawdio, developed in the MIT Media lab. I was interested by the idea that you could embed the local environment into an electrical circuit to alter the output of a circuit. In this instance, the Drawdio is a circuit which utilizes the use of a 555 timer chip to produce an astable output frequency. The frequency depends upon the resistance of the input from the environment. As the line that you draw gets longer, the input resistance increases and the pitch becomes lower. This can be used to produced rudimentary music.
My derivative of the circuit used a lower power variant of the 555 timer (551), so that a single coin battery could be used instead of single/double AA batteries. Further adjustments to the circuit had to be made to allow for a lower supply voltage.
I also designed a quick pencil mount for the circuit, allowing everything to clip together, this was fabricated on a SLA printer using clear resin.
Instructions for the assembly and use of the kit were produced and I ran a few sessions at the Cambridge Makespace in 2014 to engage young children in electronics.
Silicone Chocolate Molds
Rough test with food molds; the 'Marvin' test print was used as the basis for 3D printed positive molds, and these prints were used to fabricate negative molds from food-grade silicone. There were air bubbles present in both the silicone and the chocolate, a vacuum could have been used to minimize these defects.
Right: Laser cut cardboard props, cut from sheets of corrugated cardboard. Items included a sword, cauldron, and an axe which weaved layers to produce a 3D appearance. The items remained attached to the sheets using uncut slots, removal would simply require a craftknife.
Below: Simple multi-layered paper scene cut from a single piece of card (here it's a little wolf howling in a cave). This was a quick doodle inspired by the works of Hari Deepti.