Machine Tool Control Board (2018)
This project was developed to enable rapid development of multiple machine tool systems and automated post-processing and casting of fabricated parts. Capable of closed-loop control of 12 individually axis and control of 6 1500W switches, this board can drive any fabrication prototype, whether you're driving pneumatic pistons, running custom heated lines, or developing novel machining technologies.
Flexibility and cost whilst prototpying differentiates this project from a full commercial Programmable Logic Controller (PLC).
- Dual Dynomotion KFLOP motion control inputs
- 12 axis motion control
- 12 endstops (mechanical, hall effect, and optical compatible)
- Accepts linear and rotary encoder input for closed loop motion control
- 6 power MOSFETs for switching high-power loads rapidly (each 25A @ 60V capable)
- Integrated ATMEGA2560 microcontroller, controlling the power MOSFETs and providing additional expansion if running additional sensors or modules
This board has been used in over a dozen prototypes and automation machines, commanding machines and modules ranging from a simple two-axis SLA 3D printer prototype, to custom heated lines for inkjet delivery of wax in a MJ/SLA hybrid 3D printer architecture, to automating investment casting modules for composite shell build-up.